Are you a high school student with an interest in fashion design? Cornell University's Department of Fiber Science & Apparel Design has a challenge for you!
Here it is:
Today many of us are hypermobile, travelling frequently over great distance, often by air. Aviation, as a source of greenhouse gases, has been growing faster than any other mode of transportation, contributing to the demise of the very planet we explore, travelling as tourists intent on sight-seeing. Yet how and where do we really want to travel? What do we really want to see and experience?
Design the outfit for the modern nomad/traveler, who travels to find the place described by Melville that is "not down on any map; true places never are". How would this person travel? Where would s/he go? What would s/he experience? What would this very special traveler wear?
Entries must be submitted on or before midnight December 14, 2014.
Finalists will be notified on January 21, 2015.
$15 entry fee per submission.
If you have any questions about the award, visit the Frequently Asked Questions page.
The 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th place winners will be invited to attend the Cornell Fashion Collective's fashion show (VIP seating).
Additional prizes include
- First Place: The 1st place winner will receive a subscription to Women's Wear Daily, a selection of professional apparel construction tools, and will be invited to attend a master class with an FSAD apparel professor, focusing on techniques related to the process of transforming their sketch into a garment.
- Second Place: The 2nd prize winner will receive a one year subscription to Woman's Wear Daily and selection of professional apparel construction tools.
- Third place: The 3rd prize winner will receive a selection of professional apparel construction tools.
- Fourth place: The 4th place winner will receive a gift bag of art supplies.
- Honorable mentions: will receive a certificate
Judges consist of three Fiber Science & Apparel Design alumni working in the apparel design industry and one Apparel Design faculty member.
Click here to download a hardcopy submission form.